Done! These chaps, so a little bird tells me, will be making their first appearance at the York show in early February. They look almost identical to the 4th ALH (pictured earlier) save for the tiny detail of the patch on the shoulder. Again, all miniatures from Blaze Away with added saddle clutter and swords made from greenstuff.
Friday, 5 January 2018
Monday, 1 January 2018
I took a little time out from painting the 12th Australian Light Horse to respond to a request from Down Under to explain how I swap heads. Here is a brief photo tutorial. I recommend clicking on some of the images so that you can see what is going on a little clearer.
1. The essential tools.
2. Snip off the head. Aim to snip the head off above the collar line (apologies for not getting this shot in focus).
3. Another view of the head removal operation. Steady now! Have courage.... SNIP!
4. Removal complete.
5. The snips leave a raised area of metal that now needs to be filed flat.
6. Cleaned up and flattened neck.
7. Take a drill and drill into the centre of the neck to a depth of about 1.5mm
8. Neck with hole drilled into the centre.
9. Now take a scalpel and pare away the top of the hole to leave a "cupped" recess into which the new head will sit.
10. The "cupped" recess. Compare this with photo 8 and you will see the difference (hopefully).
11. Fill the "cupped" recess with a good quality superglue. Don't use the cheap "poundshop" rubbish.
12. Place the new head into the recess. Hold for a few seconds and.....
13. ....Bob's yer uncle!
Friday, 29 December 2017
Being somewhat dissatisfied with the Irregular Miniatures 6 inch 30 cwt Howitzer (underscale) for 97 Heavy Artillery Group, I decided to replace it with a scratchbuild. Here is a 1/56 (approx) 6 inch 30 cwt Howitzer on the top carriage in the static position, wheels removed, ready for some high angle work. The figure for size comparison is a Mutton Chop wth a Woodbine head.
Thursday, 21 December 2017
Since completing the 4th Australian Light Horse, the Painting Mojo decided to go for a holiday. Both it and I needed a break from the brushes for while. However, I got the itch. The itch to build. So, as I took time away from the paints, I began work on what will become 97 Heavy Artillery Group and I built the guns. These are all approximately 1/56 scale. They are not meant to be exact scale models but something that, in the end, looks like the real gun and will pass as a gaming piece.
Mark VI 8 inch Howitzer: There were two Mark VI guns in Palestine during 1917 and 1918. All scratched with the addition of converted wheels from the JTFM Mark I Tank steering gear.
26 cwt 6 inch Howitzers: One of these is a complete scratchbuild, the other uses the barrel from an Irregular Miniatures 6 inch howitzer. I bought Irregular Miniatures gun out of curiosity but the carriage is completely wrong and it went straight into the "bits box".
A fourth howitzer was added using the Irregular Miniatures 30 cwt 6 inch Howitzer (on the extreme right).
Mark II 60 pdr: These two guns took the most work. Again, the barrels and carriages are scratchbuilt and the wheels are converted from the JTFM Mark I Tank steering gear.
In the fullness of time I shall have to convert some gunners, do some more Holt tractors and towing limbers, an observation balloon, a flatbed truck with a massive winch, two lorry mounted AA guns and some AA Lewis guns. What have I started........?
Monday, 11 December 2017
Monday, 20 November 2017
Every self-respecting British-Imperial force should have a kilted unit. Here's mine but no tartan in sight, only Hodden Grey. Footsore Miniatures with Woodbine heads and a Jazz Age Imperialism Lewis Gun team from Empress Miniatures. The circular yellow patch is correct. Wearing the The London Scottish light blue hackle on the Wolseley helmet is entirely conjectural but it adds a little interest and colour.
Thursday, 16 November 2017
These figures are from Blaze Away available from Lancashire Games. Painted up as the 4th Australian Light Horse (tiny detail of the the patch in the sleeve) with some added clutter and an extra blanket to the saddle. Half way through the unit of ten mounted and ten dismounted. The keen eyed among you will notice that, through the miracle of "Instant Mold" and green stuff, I have added swords to these Lighthorsemen. They were issued swords in 1918 and these chaps will be used for a game set during "The Great Ride"of that year through northern Palestine and Syria. Another post showing all complete will follow in due course.