Friday 2 June 2017

Mark IX "Pig" Supply/Infantry Carrier, 1918. A Riveting Return.

Over eighteen months ago I played about with some 1/72 scale plans of a Mark IX Infantry Carrier. I resized them to approximately 1/56 and built a couple of models from card. I made a third model, upon which I began to stick HUNDREDS of caviar beads to act as rivets. This gave the model "weight". Sticking on those tiny beads was such a buttock-clenching job that I put the model aside to complete at a later date. I then promptly forgot all about it. Until, that is, last weekend when Steve Langan (the man with the original idea for a model of a Mark IX in this scale) posted some images of a game where one of these first two models took to the table. That sparked the memory. Under a pile of decapitated heads from hundreds of headswaps, old empty paint pots, chocolate bar wrappers and empty pizza boxes I found "The Pig". I discovered a much more efficient way of applying these rivets by licking the end of a old brush. The brush then picks up one bead at a time which can be placed upon the model with some accuracy. So, here is the third "Pig". Better late than never.





5 comments:

Phil said...

Realistic and splendid Mark!

Michael Awdry said...

Absolutely wonderful Mark, but I had to look up caviar beads.

Over Open Sights said...

Tiny tiny little beads used in Nail Bars. I bought a small bag of these from eBay. There are literally thousands of them for a couple of quid. A dot of PVA, place bead on glue and allow to dry. Once dry, secure with a spot of superglue. Allow to dry and paint. As I said, a bit buttock clenching but worth it.

Over Open Sights said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said...

Superb work Mark! That really is terrific. I can only say that your patience with the caviar beads is highly admirable - it looks very highly effective!

Best wishes,

Jason